Sunday, November 9, 2008

square by square...that's domino knitting

My first Domino piece is a scarf using Vivian Hoxbro's potholder #2 pattern. This pattern is from her fantantic book Domino Knitting. Her step by step instructions in this book are simple and easy to put into action.

Without doubt, this is the most difficult piece to capture it's true colors. Now keep in mind, I'm the aim and shoot kind (the first thing on my to do list upon retirement is take a photography class at the local college......but I'll leave those details for a later post) and cannot capture the true mauve in the yarn. The mauve comes out orange no matter where I shoot. You'll just have to take my word for it, the blues, greys and mauve are really rich and beautiful.

The 3 skeins of Knit One Crochet Too yarn of 70% baby alpaca/20% silk/1% cashmere is a dream! This project was started on size 3 needles, when after one row I realized the stitches were too relaxed and had to go down to #2s. I chose to knit row by row squares instead of the second option, column by column.

Domino Knitting may appear quite tedious, but actually is such fun! Even using #2 needles this scarf is knitting up rather quickly. Square by Square.

No comments: