Friday, August 21, 2009

winter thoughts

OK, time for a change of pace and time to do some Winter knitting!

This summer I purchased the Shibui cabled wrap kit from here. Love the rich Raspberry tone on tone color, the classic style, and the fiber is outrageously beautiful! The wrap is knit holding a strand of Shibui baby alpaca and a strand of silk cloud throughout. The results of the yarn combination is a wrap that is so wonderful to touch with a glorious halo effect. Totally awesome! After about 12 inches of this knit, purl, knit, purl, cable, knit, purl, knit, purl, cable.....the boredom set in and I knew a side knit would be necessary to get me through this one.

That side knit and perfect project companion would be the Lily of the Valley scarf from my Estonian Victoria book ...love this book! The center of this scarf features the familiar Lily of the Valley motif, along with small flower figures that include openwork leaves and stems. The ends of the scarf have a scalloped lace borders, separated from the main section by garter-stitch bands punctuated with eyelets. This scarf is a nice change with the lace work and O-M-G....the NUPPS(if you look closely I think you can see them even before blocking)! I have wanted to knit a piece that included the Nupps stitch and this is perfect using the 5 stitch Nupp. Lily also gave me the opportunity to use my JoJoLand 100% - 2 ply cashmere. What a lovely fiber. This will be quite a versatile piece when knit with the earthly colorway, 2-101. I'm now 8" into this project and thrilled with the results.

This plan is one of perfection. The mix of one project using larger #8 needles, knit & purl with a cable to a small #3 needle lace knit with NUPPS. I can be soooo weird, I even enjoy the color change from that neutral tone to the yummy rich raspberry color.

Thoughts of the winter months just make me want to knit and knit and knit.........shhhhh, that will be our little secret!

1 comment:

Renee said...

Lovely - both of them!