Sunday, March 8, 2009

possibilities

with the Entrelac process are quite exciting! I have long admired and promised myself to master the Entrelac technique the day I saw this wonderful fun hat; that was January, 2008. Well last Saturday I treated myself to an Entrelac class at Common Threads. I chose the Lady Eleanor Entrelac Stole as my playground and first Entrelac pattern and knit it to scarf width and length instead of the original stole size.

Have a look at my first Entrelac in the raw before blocking and before adding the knotted fringe.
I did add a row of single crochet that makes for a very finished edging. I plan to do the knotted fringe work after blocking. The fringe design on Lady Eleanor is frilly and adds a final touch of drama and romance.

My scarf was knit using # 6 needles with Noro Silk Garden Lite in color #2039.

Red Threads has an excellent tutorial for this process that gives a wonderful explanation of the short row technique. This technique is used to work small pieces of a row at a time that creates that woven looking fabric. Also the diagram used at Red Threads is most helpful showing the 3 basic parts an Entrelac piece is comprised of; the base triangles, corner triangles and the rectangles.

What's this???? Why it's my first Maine Morning Mitt that is knit to match my new Lady Eleanor Scarf. I should finish the first one today and have the second Mitt complete by the time LE is blocked.










The Entrelac possibilities are many. Besides the hat mentioned earlier in this post, I have my eye on a couple other projects as well...like this and then there is the Autumn triangle shawl designed by Lijuan Jing to be knit with JoJoland-Rhythm...this yarn is in my stash waiting for a little more experience before starting. Do you adore the Cobweb Frill edging? I selected the same colorway #8-m09 for my shawl as shown on the pattern!






1 comment:

GoldenTracks said...

I so love Entrelac, but haven't tried it yet. I have Lady Eleanor in my queue.Your colors are gorgeous. Love purples and greens, reminds me of Pansies.